Well, This Isn’t Surprising …

So by now you guys have heard that someone had set fire to a Planned Parenthood in Wisconsin over the weekend.  At the time, there was no information about the person who did it or what their motives were, but every time a women’s health center or an abortion clinic is firebombed or vandalized, or their employees harassed, attacked, or murdered, my first thought is that this was done by yet another pro-“life” vigilante who committed these acts in order to “save the babies”.  In fact

According to the most recent statistics from the National Abortion Federation, there were 114 violent attacks against abortion providers in 2011, including three physical assaults, one bombing, one incident of arson, 27 counts of vandalism and eight burglaries.

Some people call those who do this domestic terrorists; they would be correct, of course, since their acts certainly constitute violent – and even deadly – acts with intent to create fear.  Some people in this country seem to ignore the fact that terrorists can be home grown,.  Human psychology is, in many ways, constant regardless of society.  In every part of the world you will have people who live their lives with a sense of unshakable moral certainty … the same that can be seen in self-proclaimed “holy warriors” on the other side of the world.  The only difference in either case is the name of their god.

In any event, they got the guy … and from what it looks like, he’s part pro-“life” nut, part self-appointed vigilante, and all crazy.  With a criminal record to boot!

Accused Planned Parenthood arsonist Francis Grady appears in federal court

Francis Grady, 50, told U.S. Magistrate Judge James Sickel he planned to plead guilty, but Sickel ignored the statement and scheduled Grady for an April 19 preliminary hearing.

At one point, Grady interrupted him to ask, “Do you even care at all about the 1,000 babies that died screaming?”

When a reporter asked Grady why he had planted a bomb at the clinic, Grady corrected him, saying, “There was no bomb, it was gasoline.” He said he did it because “they’re killing babies there.

I don’t suppose he knows that only about 3% of Planned Parenthood’s services are related to abortion, and the other 97% are things like STI screening, cancer screening, contraception, and women’s health services.  (Maybe he took John Kyl a little too literally?)  Or that about 90% of abortions take place before the 12th week of pregnancy, before there is enough nerve development to feel pain, scream, or have any understanding of the world around them?

My guess is no.  This is further supported by the possibility that he may have attended some anti abortion rallies earlier this year:

Grand Chute Police Chief Greg Peterson said investigators in the case learned that Grady may have been involved in past protests at the office. The information was so far unconfirmed, Peterson said, but it is being looked at closely by the team of local and federal investigators handling the case.

This would certainly go a long way in solidifying motive … even though the guilty plea, his obvious choice of target, his expressed “concern” for the babies that have been aborted to date, and his apparent lack of any remorse over the incident in any way say plenty on their own.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Freedom from Religion, Religion and Public Life, Religion in the News and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s