I saw this video on DailyKos and a few other sites, and I had to show it to you guys. It’s from one of our favorite bands of happy homophobes, Focus on the Family. Their dear leader, if you recall, is James Dobson – a psychologist who, despite his degree, doesn’t seem capable of even the most basic academic honesty when there’s an agenda to peddle to the masses.
Well, this time around, I would like to draw your attention to a video they recently released called “Stoplight: In the Eyes of the Law”. Not only is this a terrible video, but the fact that it’s called their “latest episode” means there’s more of these. Oh holy hell, I can’t bring myself to go to their site and find out.
See, usually when I see the flashing blue lights, the first thing I think is, “OH SHIT I HAVE TO DUMP THE COKE.”
Kidding, kidding …
Here are some of the bits that make this video even more bizarre than the normal anti-gay screeds coming from these folks:
- “In the eyes of the law, all Americans should be treated equally.” Seriously, only people like Dobson would have a problem with this. The fact that they use this quote to imply that actual law enforcement personnel have the authority to “decide who is equal” just doesn’t even make any sense. It’s also kind of funny for a religious video to make claims about what essentially amounts to thought police citing people for disagreeing with the “party line”, considering that’s what they’ve done for the better part of 2,000 years. Of course people are allowed to disagree with ideas like treating homosexuals like regular people … and other people are allowed to think they’re assholes. That’s America!
- “When the president talks about redefining marriage in terms of the ‘eyes of the law’, he’s talking about …
- Christian business owners getting dragged to the Human Rights Commission … This happened in Kentucky when a T-shirt printer refused service to the Gay and Lesbian Services Organization of Lexington for their 5th annual Pride Festival. A complaint was filed and the Commission offered to “mediate a solution”. Hardly the actions of a police state forcing the gay agenda down the throats of some unsuspecting Christian business owners, no? (Even if they did refuse service based on their sexual orientation.)
- Churches getting sued if they won’t rent out their buildings … which is what happens when you agree to rent out your building or property to the general public! If you do that, you can’t pick and choose anymore. Seriously, even the Christian “LifeSiteNews” site admits as much. What the hell do they expect? If they only chose to rent to their parishioners, then they would have been free to keep out the icky gays and their sinful cooties.
- Wedding photographers landing in court if they choose to only shoot “real” weddings … You guys hardly have the right to tell the rest of the world what is and is not “real” considering the track record of success any of the Abrahamic religions have had in science, mathematics, philosophy, modern day morality, and pretty much everything else. But fine, let’s talk about “real” weddings, by which you mean “Christian heterosexual” weddings. Again, service was refused purely on the basis of the sexual orientation of the would-be client. What more is there?
- “In the eyes of the law means everything outside the church building, placing the weight of the law enforcement and the courts on the heads of anyone who disagrees …” No matter how many times they say it, it’s not a matter of disagreement. It’s a matter of refusing goods and services to a person or persons on the basis of their sexual orientation. Sexual orientation (meaning ANY orientation, including heterosexual) a protected class … just like religion.
The only catch is that while religions like Christianity – even the brand of paranoid fear mongering these idiots try pass off as moral superiority these days – might be protected, it doesn’t provide immunity those who decide they don’t feel like obeying the law whenever it doesn’t suit them or their personal interpretation of reality. The fact that they are crying foul at this only shows the extent to which their ill-deserved power and privilege has been institutionalized over the span of centuries.
“When President Obama talks about redefining marriage, what he really means is judgment … against YOU.”
Actually, no. What he really means is that YOU no longer have the inalienable right to judge others as “sinners” or “evil” just because they don’t happen to follow some hopelessly cherry picked 2,000 year old Semitic moral code that has otherwise been deemed too barbaric and backwards by modern society. It is a means to an eventual end to the hatred, bigotry, violence, and judgment against those who happen to be wired to be attracted to members of their own gender.
It’s OK, though … I understand that you’re so used to assuming that the world revolves around you that you can only think of how your lives will be affected when you can no longer inflict your beliefs on everyone else. The sad part is that you actually think you’re doing the world a favor with all of this crap. Instead, you’ve been keeping one leg of this country firmly planted in the Dark Ages.