As the entire planet has already been made thoroughly aware yesterday, the US Supreme Court has ruled on a 5-4 vote that the Defense of Marriage Act is unconstitutional. Basically this translates to a federal recognition of same sex marriage, although the states are still free to legalize it based on how icky they think it is. (Really, I’m not sure what else it could be at this point.)
Also in the news, and no less significant, is their refusal to hear an appeal regarding Proposition 8, in effect legalizing same sex marriage in California.
Obviously this means that the apocalypse is nigh.
- Mike Huckabee: My thoughts on the SCOTUS ruling that determined that same sex marriage is okay: “Jesus wept.”
- Mike Huckabee (redux): 5 people in robes said they are bigger than the voters of CA and Congress combined. And bigger than God. May He forgive us all.
- Michelle Bachmann: marriage was created by the hand of God. No man, not even a Supreme Court, can undo what a holy God has instituted.
- Tony Perkins (Family “Research” Council): Today, the U.S. Supreme Court made it clear that the pillars of both [freedom and virtue] are under attack. By a single vote, five unelected justices determined that they know better than God and struck at the heart of marriage in America.
- Bryan Fischer (American Family Association): Sodomy-based marriage is an egregious violation of the “Laws of Nature and Nature’s God.” May God have mercy on us.
- Kirk Cameron (Way of the Moron): Supreme Court: God & Bible Are Irrelevant
Countless more conservative Republicans responded along predictable – though generally more muted – lines, mentioning that they still support the “traditional” definition of marriage … by which they invariably mean marriage as “defined in the bible”.
Well, “defined” as in “between a man and woman” … ignoring the divinely-inspired allowances for multiple wives, concubines, slaves, rape victims whose fathers have been paid off, and POWs from foreign nations taken as spoils of war. None of that. Just one wife … whom you treat as your equal now … not property. Not anymore, anyway. Unless you’re spanking her.
Point is, if the only justification these folks have to keep an entire demographic from being able to enjoy the same legal rights as the rest of us is based off of marital “traditions” they pretend is taken straight from God by way of an ancient “holy book” that also condemns stupid things like shrimp and polyester, then they don’t have a leg to stand on. It does not constitute a valid argument in a secular society, no matter how many lawmakers would nod their heads sagely and consider such “faith based” ideas wise and virtuous. In fact, it is devoid of reason, and shouldn’t even begin to enter public discourse for fear of ridicule.
Yet … here we are. Lucky us.
Then, to add icing on the cake, Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia issued a dissent dripping with what appears to be the anger of a true, personal grudge along with a soup tureen full of chutzpah:
“It is one thing for a society to elect change; it is another for a court of law to impose change by adjudging those who oppose it hostes humani generis, enemies of the human race,” Scalia wrote, accusing the majority of “declaring anyone opposed to same-sex marriage an enemy of human decency … In the majority’s telling, this story is black-and-white: Hate your neighbor or come along with us.”
Well, I don’t know. It sounds more to me like the real enemies of human decency are the ones who want to keep treating homosexuals as second class citizens while hiding behind the Christian God as a convenient way to avoid responsibility for their own prejudice and fear. From the overall response to the DOMA ruling, it sounds like there’s plenty of them, too.